Wednesday, February 9, 2011

I don't like antibiotics


Hey All,

So during my surgery back in November the doctor discovered that I had a dangerous bacteria in my stomach called h. pilori. This bacteria left untreated has been known to cause stomach cancer, ulcers and other undesirable digestive diseases. Immediately after the surgery I couldn't start the antibiotics because the pills are so large and your stomach is small and still healing. So, my doctor waited until this month to prescribe the necessary antibiotics to treat the bacteria. WELL. . . The Prev-Pack that is prescribed is like $400 and since I pay cash up to the deductibile with my health plan, I chose the cheaper route of $60. What I didn't know is that these would be the most horrific 14 days of my medicine journey ever. So I have to take 2 different pills, 4 times a day, for 14 days. Basically, these antibiotics are killing everything in their path. SO I AM GETTING EVERY SIDE EFFECT KNOWN TO MAN. My mouth tastes like metal, everything smells weird, I have the runs, and all the other fun things women get to experience from wide spectrum antibiotics. UGH!!! I have felt so nauseous the past week. I feel like I can't drink or eat, which is critical to my weight loss. So, it has been a pretty painful and annoying step in this journey to get healthy. Let me just put it this way . . . It would be worth the extra $340 to never have to do this again. I finish up on Sunday and I think that I will be throwing a mini party when I am done with these pills.

With all that, my weight loss has felt slow the past week. Where I was losing 5-6 pounds a week, I only lost 2 last week. I have really been trying to get moving everyday, but it has been so tough when I feel so sick. Thank GOD that I can work from home, or I would be a mess. Jenni and I did some hiking on Monday afternoon. It was so beautiful and Oskar LOVED it. I got to wear some shorts that hadn't really fit me in a long time. Very cute shorts, that even Jenni is jealous of. So, that was exciting. To add to it, I went running after a ball with Oskar and almost lost my shorts. It was a little embarassing, but mostly it felt great that these shorts were actually big on me now. YAY!

I included the picture up above of him at one of favorite leisure parks, Pt. Isabel. he loves the water! Today is another beautful day outside so I think Oskar and I will do a walk/run. It is a good way for me to ramp up my walks and it slowly transitions me into running so I don't hurt myself. Right now I am doing 2 minutes of walking, and 1 minute of running. Works pretty good, and Oskar loves the running parts. LOL.

Weight Today 226.0

1 comment:

  1. Amazing journey Erika, I couldn't imagine going through such a dramatic life change. I don't know if Daniel has ever mentioned, but I've been studying pathogen research for the last 3 or 4 years, including H. pylori infections and it's some serious stuff. Our ultimate goal would treat these infections using naturally-occurring compounds found in fruits, particularly (cran)berries. It would eliminate the need for harsh antibiotics completely, and also bring down the cost quite dramatically. Could you imagine!

    Good luck and wishing you continued progress! A little jealous that you can be outside running around in shorts, it was 0°F on my walk to school this morning!

    ReplyDelete