Monday, February 8, 2010

Super Bowl Fun

Although my team, the Vikings, did not make it to the Super Bowl this weekend, it was still good to see a new team win. However, I think that we can all agree that most people who participate in activities for the Super Bowl, are not doing it just to watch the game. It's the food. The Beer. And sitting on a big comfy couch for 4 hours. But, this year I had to take a new approach. I knew I wouldn't have too much of a problem giving up the beer, but I was really wanted to change my experience this year.

Jenni and I planned ahead and bought some yummy food at Nob Hill (kind of like Whole Foods). We bought some Guiltless Gourment Black Bean dip. Avacadoes for homemade Guacomole. Organic Black Bean Chips. Blueberries. And some yummy Chicken Meatballs. We also picked up some special expensive Jalapeno Cheddar. It was a wonderful spread. I used carrots instead chips for my dipping and we cut the cheese up into little slices that we could munch on. I really enjoyed the game and noticed that I wasn't nearly as obsessed with feeling full, but rather enjoying healthy snacks while I watched the game.

The other thing that we did this weekend was get the ingredients together to make our own healthy energy bars. YUMMY! This is something that my Mom has been doing for about a month and I decided it would be a great for us to save some money and get healthy. These bars are awesome! They have flax seed, oats, whole wheat, raisins, cranberries, almonds, and a touch of chocolate chips. All in all, the bars have about 215 calories. The perfect snack or pre-exercise gobble. :) There are some carbs, but these will be the only carbs that I will consume with the exception of brown rice extremely occasionally.

I think that what is important for me at this point is to find a way to eliminate the bad habits and bring in the good. At the same time I feel my attitude to food slowly beginning to change. Food is for nutrition and energy. Enjoying nutrition is not a bad thing, but indulging in it is. Losing weight is so commonly described as difficult, hard and un-enjoyable. I want to try and turn that around in my life. It is a challenge, but I want to find points along the way where I can have fun with these new choices I am making. I want to discover joy in planning my meals and checking off exercise workouts. I truly believe that if I can focus on the positives about the changes I am making, and create fulfillment in it, that it will be what helps me continue to do it for the rest of my life.

I have decided that I am only going to weigh twice a week. Our weight can fluctuate from day to day, and in order for me to remain encouraged, I believe twice a week will be plenty. So I will just post my most recent weight at the end of each post.

Most Recent Weight: 269.6

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you're really dedicated this time around Erika. I remember in Seattle when you did the diet and the triathlon how much it affected your mood and your enjoyment of life. I think what made that program difficult was that it was not fun, and it never seemed like something you could actually do for the rest of life without feeling like hell. It sounds like you're starting to lose weight the right way... er "wright" way. That is you're trying to create new habits that foster a change in the way you think. That is what I have had to do. For instance, for New Years, I gave up cereal. You know me and cereal... anyway, so far so good. But it really has made me feel better about myself. Cereal is like a drug for me. I eat three bowls, and feel SOOO good... and yet so guilty. Because in my mind, I know that three bowls of cereal is about 1200 calories when I do it. Anyway, I think of cereal as the devil now, and it makes it easy to resist! ;-)

    You're amazing sister. I miss you!!! Say hi to Jenners...

    ReplyDelete